Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Keep ya hands off!.....my Constitution, too!

 This is for my beautiful women of color (even more for my black women) who "go natural" with their hair.  Nothing against the beautiful women of our caucasian counterparts but I am sure the women of color may have possibly contemplated putting a mouse trap in their head for every person making an attempt to touch their hair out of the person's own curiosity like the woman of color is a freak show.  Yeah i know many of you may have heard this argument before but I read a story today on NPR and wanted share some insight.

I have heard some try to argue it is not a race thing that it is a DIFFERENT thing.  NOPE.  I have yet to see or come across a situation where caucasian women are the objects of curiosity when it comes to their hair.  If it does occur, I am sure the situation is a rarity; I have no doubt in my mind that it is.  It even angers me to some extent that people have the audacity to run up to someone they don't know and put their hands on them violating their space and dignity.  We are all ignorant to somethings but in this case, ignorance is no excuse. 

We still do live in age where the objectification of another human being is a derivative of an exclusionary mentality brewed from a people who still hold institutional power and project their authority on to a culture different than their own....don't get it?...read it slowly :-)



So apparently, and not surprisingly, people are actually divided over the recent passing of the health-care overhaul...i mean bill.  Some states feel their constitutional right's and authority are being stripped.  Did they forget that President Obama's study was at Harvard Law in the concentration of constitutional law?  His forte and I am sure one of his guilty pleasures was to break down the constitution in its entirety.  But because when writing such discerning documents you are usually writing, more often than not, in the context of the time in which it is created.  The elasticity of a document such as The Constitution allows interpretation to evolve along with society.

....justhoughts, juskev

No comments:

Post a Comment