Monday, October 26, 2009

Fried Pork and Cookies, mmmmm...

Yall know I can be a health nut when I want to be; but at the end of the day just keep ya self happy and as healthy as possible within your means and taste buds cause anything can take you out.  With that said here is my spill...

So, you like dipping those Oreos in milk?  Well after a dinner table discussion with some colleagues and friends of mine I discovered some interesting facts about cookies, specifically the Oreo, made by Nabisco. 

Here is fact #1:  Oreos are not kosher and "used" pork fat (i.e. lard) when quick frying the cookie after it was baked.
That leads to fact#2: Oreos are flash fried, as I've heard it referred to i.e. they quickly dip the cookies in a deep fryer for a few moments.  It is a very common practice in the U.S. to fully fry an Oreo at carnivals and festivals.  If you do not believe me about the "flash frying" of a the cookie.  Check out the trans fat content of a Nabisco Oreo;  very high.  Then ask, why is it so high?... (but just b/c it has an extremely high trans fat content, does not necessarily mean that it is still currently being fried but my guess is that it is..)
-----------------------------------------------------------

It was very hard to pull any truly concrete sources on this one but I know how to use the internet as an extremely powerful and resourceful tool.  But once again, I am only disseminating this information to provoke thought and discussion.  I really like that coin phrase "u do the dishes", haha.

Peace!
-juskev

No comments:

Post a Comment