Saturday, January 08, 2011

Effective Barbershops: A Dying Breed?..

The good ole barbershop; the home away from home for annoyed husbands, the underground neighborhood retail store, the place where any man can freely express his opinion and have discussions on just about anything.

Remember when haircuts were just 10 dollars? I know those of the older generation can remember when it was 3-5 dollars. Now 16 dollars is considered a steal deal. I will use the cliche phrase "in the economy", barbershops can not efficiently run their shops on the prices we all used to know but I have noticed something as the prices have risen quality of some of the barbershops have gone down, well at least in my opinion.

So Kev, why not just cut your own hair?

Funny you'd ask. I definitely would have no problem in doing it myself and believe, over a short time period, could learn to do a great job.

BUT, I see going to the barbershops as a sound investment in the community. Very often barbershops and salons are at the center of the community. Involving themselves as sponsors for local businesses, little league athletics ect. Lately its been hard to find the good ole barbershops these days. You know the ones where they have the one elder man who shares stories and offers an abundances of conventional wisdom and experience to the youth... Don't see none of that really too much. But the baby boomers of the world won't live forever.. Understanding they have a business to run, shops have become more efficient in doing things by appointment instead the good ole walk-ins. But that doesn't leave much room sometimes for people to sit around and discuss/argue the ill and deals of the community and world.

Maybe it's just me... I'm what you may call, "old school at heart" type of man. So I appreciate the nostalgic idiosyncrasies brought forth by those who have been here for a while.

Aiight those are my randoms thoughts, just got the fresh cut...I'm out

-juskev

No comments:

Post a Comment